All students identified as Gifted at Preston will have both an Affective Goal and an Academic Goal. The academic (cognitive based) goal is essential for the gifted students growth but equally as important is the affective (social-emotional) domain. According to SENG (Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted) “the rationale being that the inclusion of affective components within the curriculum enhances the whole student rather than merely focusing upon cognitive development.” For more information visit www.sengifted.org. For the Affective Goal, students will be working on building culture within their school community by grade level. The students’ progress on their affective ALP goal will be communicated at the end of the year.
- 6th grade: Independence
- 7th grade: Leadership
- 8th grade: Participation
Academic Advanced Learning Plan and Services
Students’ Academic Advanced Learning Plan can include the following categories:
- Academic Performance and Achievement; this goal addresses students’ academic needs, exposure to higher-level content, access to an accelerated pace, and demonstrating mastery of advanced curriculum.
- Post-Secondary Readiness and/or Career Exploration; this goal addresses students’ needs to explore higher-education, careers and real-world experience through mentorship, relevant and worldly exposure, and connection to expert professionals in a field of interest.
- Independent Learning and Exploration in Areas of Interest; this goal addresses students’ independent learning needs through a learning environment that allows them to work at their own pace, within a personal area of interest.
Preston’s Gifted and Talented ALP Programming
- 6th-8th Grade Language Arts
- 6th-8th Grade Math, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2
- Additional Gifted Programming
- Creativity Program
What is an ALP?
“Advanced Learning Plan” or “ALP” means a written record of gifted and talented programming utilized with each gifted child and considered in educational planning and decision making.
Advanced Learning Plan Documents