“Not every child has an equal talent or an equal ability or an equal motivation, but children have the equal right to develop their talent, their ability and their motivation.” – John F. Kennedy
4. GT Resources
Preston’s Gifted and Talented Mission:
Our mission is to support the unique academic, social and emotional needs of our individuals with gifts and talents by offering learning opportunities that encourage exploration in areas of interest; fostering critical and creative thinking skills; developing intellectual curiosity and student achievement; providing relevant learning experiences; and creating a responsive climate for gifted and talented learners. This program is designed to inspire students to investigate their interests, develop their potential and become passionate, self-directed learners.
Gifted and Talented Opportunities at Preston
Preston Middle School believes that Gifted and Talented students have unique affective and academic needs. As a result, Preston provides a structured program for our GT students that may include the following:
- Cluster & grouping
- Problem based learning
- Advanced Coursework & Tiered Content/Instruction
- Real World Access: Competitions, Field Trips, Guest Speakers
- Independent Projects, Passion Projects and Curriculum Compacting
- GT classes and other enrichments/electives
Preston functions under a schoolwide enrichment model that allows students to explore and enrich their experience, which may include the following options:
• Biotechnology: Class is aimed at furthering our student’s knowledge and interest in topics such as DNA structure and function, transformation, electrophoresis, and mitosis/meiosis. It also includes an independent research component and investigation into real world applications of biotechnology topics. Contact Mrs. Erin Panozzo for more information about the class.
• Creative Vision: Creative Vision is a 6th grade Gifted and Talented enrichment that emphasizes three key components: creativity, individual development, and future vision. Creativity is a necessary 21st century skill. Students will engage in higher order thinking and creative problem solving, while developing their ability to think imaginatively and outside of the box. Students will participate in a reflective learning environment and explore their interest(s) to create a future vision project. This class is designed to challenge students to consider new concepts and raise their own self‐understanding. The class will examine topics pertinent to gifted and talented and engage in group activities that challenge students to synthesize information and think critically.
• Lego Robotics: Introduces students to the fun and experiences of solving real world problems by applying, math, science and technology. Build and program robots using the LEGO Mindstorm Robotics Invention Systems.
• Math Counts: The mission of Math Counts is to increase enthusiasm and enhance achievement in middle school mathematics. Math Counts provides students with a challenging and fun activity that helps them in math class; a chance to share common interests with new and lasting friends; meet students from other schools, experience teamwork; and the chance to compete for scholarships and prizes.
• Science Olympiad: An international non-profit organization devoted to improving the quality of science education, increasing student interest in science and providing recognition for outstanding • achievement in science education by both students and teachers. These goals are accomplished through classroom activities, research, training workshops and the encouragement of intramural, district, regional, state and national tournaments.
For more information about Preston’s opportunities, please refer to our school’s Preston Middle School Services 2017-2018.