“Not every child has an equal talent or an equal ability or an equal motivation, but children have the equal right to develop their talent, their ability and their motivation.” – John F. Kennedy
4. GT Resources
Preston’s Gifted and Talented Mission:
Our mission is to support the unique academic, social and emotional needs of our individuals with gifts and talents by offering learning opportunities that encourage exploration in areas of interest; fostering critical and creative thinking skills; developing intellectual curiosity and student achievement; providing relevant learning experiences; and creating a responsive climate for gifted and talented learners. This program is designed to inspire students to investigate their interests, develop their potential and become passionate, self-directed learners.
Gifted and Talented Opportunities at Preston
Preston Middle School believes that Gifted and Talented students have unique affective and academic needs. As a result, Preston provides a structured program for our GT students that may include the following:
- Flexible Grouping
- Problem based learning
- Advanced Coursework & Tiered Content/Instruction
- Real World Access: Competitions, Field Trips, Guest Speakers
- Independent Projects
Preston functions under a schoolwide enrichment model that allows students to explore and enrich their experience, which may include the following options:
• Biotechnology: Class is aimed at furthering our student’s knowledge and interest in topics such as DNA structure and function, transformation, electrophoresis, and mitosis/meiosis. It also includes an independent research component and investigation into real world applications of biotechnology topics. Contact Mrs. Erin Panozzo for more information about the class.
• Lego Robotics: Introduces students to the fun and experiences of solving real world problems by applying, math, science and technology. Build and program robots using the LEGO Mindstorm Robotics Invention Systems.
• Math Counts: The mission of Math Counts is to increase enthusiasm and enhance achievement in middle school mathematics. Math Counts provides students with a challenging and fun activity that helps them in math class; a chance to share common interests with new and lasting friends; meet students from other schools, experience teamwork; and the chance to compete for scholarships and prizes.
• Science Olympiad: An international non-profit organization devoted to improving the quality of science education, increasing student interest in science and providing recognition for outstanding • achievement in science education by both students and teachers. These goals are accomplished through classroom activities, research, training workshops and the encouragement of intramural, district, regional, state and national tournaments.